DESIGNING THE FUTURE OF EDUCATION
CALL FOR EDUCATION PAPERS – 2015 IDSA/Eastman Education Symposium
You are invited to submit your education paper to the 2015 IDSA/Eastman Education Symposium (Aug. 19, 2015), held in conjunction with the IDSA 2015 International Conference in Seattle, Aug 19-22, 2015.
The theme of the conference is The Future of the Future: The Next 50 Years, which is perfect as we mark the 50th anniversary of IDSA, celebrate our past, embrace our present and imagine our future. The 2015 International Conference Chair, Surya Vanka, notes in his vision statement, “Although the core of design as it is taught and practiced has remained much the same, each year we move at a dizzying pace away from being an industrial society based on manufacturing and transform into a knowledge society based on information.” This is our moment, as thought leaders who influence and shape how knowledge is acquired, shared and practiced.
The Education Symposium will explore specifically the idea of Designing the Future of Education and is open to designers, educators and thought leaders who are creating original educational programs and tools that will be shaping early and mid 21st Century education, in a range of platforms from design school programs to K-12, from corporate education to educating the general public.
Please note this year we are continuing the changes implemented in 2014 to the paper review process to benefit the Education Symposium.
- Full papers will be submitted. This is to help ensure that the papers are of the highest quality.
- A Symposium Proceeding (made up of 1-page executive summaries of the full papers) will be published and distributed at the Education Symposium and at the International Conference.
We hope you choose to be part of this unique, once in a lifetime anniversary event for IDSA, and I look forward to your participation as design educators, and designers of education, and post-graduate students from all over the world.
Ayse Birsel, IDSA
IDSA Education VP
Paper Submission Protocol:
- You must submit a full paper online. Online Submission Form
- The body of the paper should be blind without any reference to your name, company or school. The length of paper should be between 4 and 8 pages including the abstract and references.
- The paper should match the template.
- The paper should be written in the third person.
- Once your paper is selected, we will request a well-designed, visual version of the paper for presentation at the conference.
- Submitted papers will be considered by a review board.
- Once the acceptance announcement is made, the author(s) is required to submit the following:
- A “camera ready” paper
- An image to be included on idsa.org in the Education Paper Gallery
- An executive summary. Summaries will be published and distributed at the Education Symposium and International Conference.
- Specs to come with acceptance letter.
- The review board reserves the right to recommend that a paper be presented in an oral session or International Conference education track session, at their discretion.
- A number of slots are being reserved at the International Conference for an“Education Track”. There will be an opportunity to submit a pitch on your topic as part of the celebratory events leading up to the Conference. More details will be announced in the spring, so keep an eye out!
All papers on the topic of designing education of the future are welcome. We are specifically looking for design relevant topics in the following areas:
- Education: Innovative and ground-breaking curriculums, tools, theories, technologies, methods and strategies that will shape education, design or otherwise, in the next 10, 20, even 50 years. National and international.
- K-12: Emerging design theories and tools in early education, such as STEAM.
- Corporate Education: New programs, goals, investments in education at organizations.
- Layman Education: Emerging trends, changes and new ideas in education and public policy, society, community, sustainability, environment, politics and economy.
- Education Research: New discoveries and insights in learning and cognitive sciences.
Review Criteria for Papers
Each paper will be carefully reviewed by multiple peer-review board members. The review process will assess if the paper is:
- The paper has intellectual merit and impact, and it is thought provoking and provocative. The conclusions are important, clearly stated and consistent with the observations and the implications for design education and the profession are apparent.
- The paper shows observations; techniques and vision that are fresh and forward thinking, challenge existing norms and advance the profession.
- The subject is relevant to industrial design education and practice, both nationally and internationally.
- The objective is well-defined.
- Findings and data are clearly stated, logically reported and build to a sound and relevant conclusion.
- Methodology and references are cited; research protocol is defensible.
- The paper is succinct, well-written and proofed, interesting and easy to understand.
Important Deadlines and Information:
- The paper deadline: Friday March 13th, 2015.
- Papers must be submitted via an Online Submission Form.
- Notification of Acceptance of Papers: no later than May 1, 2015.
- Camera-ready paper, image and a 1-page summary: June 1, 2015.
- Additional important dates and information will follow.