Cost: $50 per year. For a maximum of five (5) consecutive years, either as an undergraduate or as a graduate student.
IDSA Student Membership will enhance your education and prepare you for the professional world of industrial design. Student Membership is available to students attending any college or university and enrolled in a degree program in industrial design or a related field.
Student members may identify themselves as "Student Member, IDSA." They are not eligible to vote or hold elected office in IDSA, at the national or local level, until they have graduated with their degree in industrial design, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Connect through IDSA’s community of more than 3,000 professionals and peers.
- Access IDSA’s listing of industrial design companies in IDSA's Design in the City section.
- Gain exposure from 1,000-1,500 views of your public profile on idsa.org.
- Receive access to IDSA special interest sections.
- Network at IDSA’s annual Design Dialogue Conferences and International Conference at reduced member rates.
- Stay in contact with your design peers, advance your career and get recommendations and more through IDSA’s LinkedIn and Facebook groups.
- Receive registration discounts for IDSA’s International Conference, its five Design Dialogue Conferences and any other Society conference or event.
- Potential to receive coveted IDSA scholarships.
- Gain valuable recognition for your outstanding contributions to Industrial Design with an International Design Excellence Award and the Student Merit Award.
- Get the latest design news from all corners of the Internet with designBytes, the weekly e-newsletter that IDSA delivers right to your desk.
- Find information on important design issues in Innovation, the Society's quarterly journal.
- Keep up with who is changing companies, what companies are working on, the latest Society news and search our ID employment ads in the monthly membership newsletter.
- Discounted subscription to Curve, an exclusive design magazine for professional industrial designers and manufacturers developing products.
- Receive full access to the IDSA video gallery (70 percent private).
- View valuable online seminars and presentations for free or at a discounted price.
- Read about design’s impact on business, the environment and society in the Catalyst Case Studies for free or at a discounted price.
- Receive studentBytes, a monthly email newsletter that includes information about design competitions, scholarship opportunities and other student chapter news.
Additional student membership benefits include:
- Local IDSA chapter events will make it easier to work side-by-side with design professional who can help your career.
- Our Mentor Directory connects you with more experienced design professionals who have volunteered to help others.
- Network at IDSA’s six annual conferences, each of which offers opportunities to have your portfolio reviewed by professionals, build relationships with potential employers and download high-level discussions about design.
- IDSA runs or co-sponsors professional and student competitions which expose the winners to people who may want to work with you.
NOTE: An IDSA Student Chapter must have at least five (5) IDSA Student Members to qualify for this designation. All other members of the chapter may or may not be members. However, students of industrial design and related disciplines are encouraged to join both IDSA and the student chapter.